Happy father’s day soap!
The soap turned out nicely, but the molding and un-molding process didnt turn out so well. The soap is a bit soft, and has a lot of air bubbles. My leading theories are:
- First time making soap = lack of experience in pushing soap into molds.
- Too much water in lye solution (softness + air bubbles)
- Too much super fatting oil (softness).
- Stirring to quickly. (air bubbles) It’s Castile mind you! 50% EVOO, so I used my stick blender for what its worth.
- Overheating (SWAG air bubbles). Hot process soap isnt supposed to be temperature sensitive, but i kept it in the crock pot after the gelling stage. I dont smell the essential oil so much so I think it overheated or at least went past my essential oils flash point.
Some of the itsy bitsy ones are fine. And they dont look so bad, but are definately not sale worthy. It has a little lather, washes me squeaky clean, but not drying. I like how it doesnt leave that dryness hand soaps usually do. This formula isn’t “to die for” so i will keep trying until I get just the way I like it.
*My soap came out a bit crumbly, direct pressure on the thinner bars makes it loose a bit of shape and the edges are crumbly so I’m putting this here to get feedback.
- 4 oz Palm oil (hardness)
- 4 oz Apricot Kernel oil (sensitive skin support)
- 8 oz Extra virgin olive oil (coz i wanted to try Castile)
- Update I read a trouble shooting guide. I double checked the formula I made and the proportions were fine. Apparently something went wrong with the saponification process. I didn’t heat it long enough. I was worried about burning it and ended up undercooking it ha!
- DIY soap mold, plus a note on BPA (melangepasticcio.wordpress.com)
- Today I made soap. Kinda fail (melangepasticcio.wordpress.com)